Nearly every Tuesday is Taco Tuesday at our house. I mean, why not? It’s yummy, the kids love it, and it takes all the guesswork out of meal planning for that day.
But sometimes I just need to change things up a bit. And in an effort to get more vegetables into our diet and fill up my Rainbow Meal Planner, I created this Cauliflower Taco recipe that includes quite a kick to your tastebuds.
This post contains affiliate links, which allow me to receive a small commission, at no additional cost to you, if you make a purchase. All opinions are authentic and my own.
I’ve long been enamored with all the amazing things you can do with cauliflower. Which is pretty much everything, except make it wash your dishes and fold your laundry. Unfortunately.
And ever since I had amazing, but way too spicy for my taste, cauliflower tacos at a local restaurant, I’ve been dying to make my own.
And like all my other recipes, this involves a very short list of mostly whole foods and is super easy to make.
And when I say a short list, I mean it. There are a total of 4 ingredients in this dish. 5 if you count the tortilla shells.
And the main ingredients is of course, cauliflower.
Just cut up a head of cauliflower, drizzle with a little olive oil, toss with salt & pepper, and roast in the oven until they’re nice and soft, about 20-30 minutes. If you like your tacos on the more crunchy side, pull them out of the oven sooner.
The other star if the show is purple cabbage.
A head of cabbage goes a long way so I only used half of a head. You can save the rest for lots of different uses like stir fry, coleslaw, and salads.
Add some matchstick sized, chopped carrots for more taste and color.
Put that all in a pan with (again) just a little olive oil and salt & pepper and cook until just heated through and starting to wilt a little. Again, you can adjust this cook time to the desired crunchiness of your tacos. You can even choose not to cook the cabbage at all if you want extra freshness and crunch.
Once your cabbage and carrots are cooked to your liking, toss with 2 tablespoons of Thai Peanut Sauce. I would call it the secret sauce to this recipe. But it’s not a secret. It is the defining ingredient to this dish.
Once the cauliflower is done, layer a whole wheat tortilla shell with the cabbage and carrots, top with roasted cauliflower and drizzle more peanut sauce on top. It adds quite a kick, so try it out with a little, then add on more if you’re feeling feisty.
You didn’t miss a step. It’s literally that easy. And you can make it even easier by buying a bag of already shredded cabbage or coleslaw mix.
This is the type of peanut sauce I used.
Kickin’ Cauliflower Tacos with Thai Peanut Sauce
- 1 Head of Fresh Cauliflower
- Half a Head of Purple Cabbage, Sliced Into Thin Strips
- Carrots Cut Into Matchsticks, From 1-2 Carrots
- 2 Tbsp Thai Peanut Sauce + More For Drizzling On Top Of Tacos
- Whole Wheat Flour Tortilla Shells
- Drizzle of Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- -Cut up a head of cauliflower into small pieces. Spread them on a baking pan lined with parchment paper. Drizzle with Olive Oil and sprinkle with the desired amount of salt & pepper. Roast for 20-30 minutes at 425 degrees.
- -Add shredded cabbage and matchstick carrots to a medium-sized pan with a drizzle of olive oil and desired amount of salt & pepper. Cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes until cabbage and carrots are just heated through.
- -Remove cabbage and carrot mixture from pan and place in a medium-sized bowl. Toss with 1 TBSP peanut sauce. Add more salt & pepper if desired.
- -Top tortilla shells with cabbage and carrot mixture, then with cauliflower. Drizzle on the desired amount of peanut sauce on top. Serve warm.
You might also like…
Leave a Reply